community projects


 

North Andover Garden Club Memorial Scholarship Application


Pollinator Gardens at Town Hall

With the help and guidance of Taylor Andrews, Field Inspector for the North Andover Conservation Commission, the establishment of pollinator beds at Town Hall became a reality for the NAGC.

It started with the removal of Hosta plants from the two beds along the front of the Town Hall building.  Faith, Leslie, Janet and Norma came prepared to remove and then divide and pot the plants in preparation for the June Plant Sale.  This resulted in 85 pots of Hosta varieties added to the mix of member-donated plants. All but about a dozen of the Town Hall Hosta found new homes at the sale.

The empty beds were then prepared for new plantings under the direction of Taylor and the DPW.

On May 22, Evelyn Vozella, Janet Foley, Brenda Reeve, Ann Cavanaugh, Norma Lochmann, Leslie Frazier, Karen Lang, Robin Doherty and sister, were joined by Town Hall employees and Taylor, and planted over 250 Purple Cone flowers, Butterfly Weed, Black-eyed Susan’s’ and Little Blue Stem grasses.

With weeks of watering and TLC from both groups, the seedings and small plants flourished and brought about the desired results in mid-July.


Spring and Summer Plantings in the Trough across from the Stevens-Coolidge Place.










 
Civic Beautification
 
 
Garden Therapy
We hold hands-on workshops at local assisted living facilities, where our members work with residents to make beautiful creations they can enjoy in their own rooms.  To view our Garden Therapy Creations of past workshops, click here.
 
Horticulture and Flower Arranging
Each year, the club features several guest speaker programs. Topics range from flower arranging to perennial garden design to cooking with herbs. Hands-on workshops are also held throughout the year demonstrating skills such as pruning, container plantings, floral centerpieces and much more. Members provide a floral or plant arrangement each week for the Stevens Memorial Library’s main desk.

 
Parson Barnard House Gardens
This committee plants and maintains the herb and dye gardens at this historic property.

The History of The Parson Barnard House
The third minister of the settlement of Andover built the Parson Barnard House in the year 1715, seventy years after the settlement of Andover, and six years after the parish split. Thomas Barnard died in 1718, only three years after the completion of his new house. This house has seen three centuries of history take place in this area, which was the original center of all of Andover, and today the towns of North Andover and Andover. Purchased in 1950 by the North Andover Historical Society, the Parson Barnard House serves as the centerpiece of North Andover history, an icon of preservation, and a physical reminder of our history, ancestors, culture, and civic pride. Today the house is distinctive among historic house museums. Each room in this house represents a different time period, from 1715-1830.
 
 
News Releases

Garden Club Members Plant Shrubs at Fire Station - Nov. 12, 2017


Rolling Ridge Conference Center


Talia Brown - the Environmental Poetry Contest Award Winner!


North Andover Garden Club Member, Phila Slade, honored by Garden Club Federation of Massachusetts




North Andover Garden Club Member Celebrates 100 Years

100 Years of Horticulture: North Andover Garden Club Celebrates its Centennial